About Dhritiman Mukherjee
Dhritiman Mukherjee is one of most respected and loved Nature photographers in India today. This self-taught photographer has been working in the field of nature photography for last 15 years and he has got number of National and international awards for photography as well as for his contribution in the field of nature conservation. But he is not known and loved for the awards he got. This humble guy is admired ?for his dedication, perseverance and hard work. He has been spending around 280 days a year in the field working hard for last 12 years. When he started nature photography in 2000, that time it was all about big mammals, common birds, charismatic species like tiger elephant rhinos etc in India. He started working on rare, endangered and challenging subjects, especially in India. Introduced new perspectives and became a trend –setter. His works helped a lot in creating awareness about lesser-known and rare species among the common people. Though this is his profession, but his belief about success is something different from most of us, he says “ my success does not depend on how much money I earn from photography or how many awards I get, rather it depends on how many people fell in love with nature and wildlife through my images and how much awareness I have generated among masses through my images. My goal is to create images from our natural world in such a way that create impact on minds and compel the masses to think that we have such a beautiful natural world, which is diminishing, we should take care of our own heritage.”
He has travelled and photographed most of the national parks and bio-zones in India. He also has covered some major international wildlife destinations.
As a professional photographer his work has been being published in all kind of print and digital media in numbers and with brands like BBC, National Geographic, New york Times, Lonely Planet, WWF, London Geographic, Telegraph, The Guardian etc to name a few.
He is an outdoor and adventure person by heart. He is a Mountaineer, Climber and an Advance Scuba diver, he says these outdoor expertise are supporting tool for his photography.
Recently he is concentrating on Marine world.
Some of the awards he got-
• Winner (wildlife) of Natures Best Windland Smith Rice International Awards competition 2014 USA
• Royal Bank of Scotland Earth Hero award in “ Inspire” category 2014
• Carl Zeiss Conservation Award 2013
• Kirloskar Vasundhara Mitra Award
• Natures best photography magazine USA in endangered category in 2011 and 2012
• National Wildlife Federation USA Endangered Category 2012
• KN Memorial Photography contest – 1st in landscape, 1st in mammals, overall second, 2 special mentions
• Madras Photography club – 2nd in water category
• Winner in DJ memorial photography contest 2012
• Sanctuary Asia photography Special mention awards for several images for more than 10 years.