About Vinay Thakur
A Brief Preview
Vinay Thakur, born in Nagpur in 1951 did his post graduation in law from Nagpur University, in 1976 and joined the family profession as a lawyer & practiced in High Court for Nine years. A self taught photographer, whose love for nature and wildlife made him switch the lanes and after a brief photography course at Rochester USA in 1984, he parted ways with the family Legal fraternity and jumped into commercial and advertising photography in 1985.
He further obtained a Diploma in Large Format Photography from SINAR of Switzerland, and has worked with Large Format (SINAR), Medium Format (Hasselblad) and 35mm (Nikon) camera systems for his work.
His career highlights include some prestigious assignments, as a photographer -
• Official photographer for IMF WORLD BANK meeting in Washington DC USA in 1984, chaired by then Finance Minister of India, Shri. Pranab Mukherji.
• Official photographer for Prime Minister of India, Hon'ble Shri P.V. Narsimha Rao during his factory visit to NIPPON DENRO ISPAT LTD on 7th March 1993.
• Is the pioneer from Nagpur to make Ad films and has produced films for Ispat Industries Ltd., Fedders Lloyd and Dinshaw's Ice Creams for National release on TV and cinema theaters. He has also produced various Industrial & technical films for Hindustan Levers factories across India.
• Had the honour to teach photography to Master of Fine Arts at Nagpur University, as a honorary faculty for one year, on invitation.
• Taught Photography to IInd year Students of Priyadarshini Institute of Architecture & Design Studies for the year 2013-14
Claim to Fame
• His work in Studio Portraiture made Kodak India Ltd. launch Kodak’s Picture Perfect Studio Programme in India with his Studio Prolab at Nagpur in1996.
• Recipient of "The Best Enterprenure Award 95" at New Delhi at the hands of then Coal Minister Mr. Jagdish Tytler in March 1996.
• Rotary Vocational Excellence Award 2002-2003 in appreciation of pursuit of Excellence and achievements in the chosen Profession, in October 2002.
• His pictorial coffee table book, " A Poem in Stone", containing interior and exterior architecture as well as aerial shots, of Nagpur High Court building was released in the presence of then President of India Her Highness Smt. Pratibha Patil in January 2011 during the 75th year celebration of the architectural marvel, i.e. Nagpur High Court Building.
• Had his solo exhibition of Mixed Media Photo Paintings on Canvas, " Pennello - The Paint Brush", in October 2013 in Nagpur, where he exhibited 45 of his paintings.
• Recently in January 2015, he has the distinction of being designated as the official photographer by the Supreme Court of India to document Supreme Court building and all the High Court buildings in India through aerial and architectural photography of the legal heritage sites.
• He is associated with CENIN Tours and Travels Co Pvt. Ltd. on their wildlife safaris, as an expert wildlife photographer.
• Because he is keen on sharing his skills, he conducts photography workshops for professionals as well as amateurs on using the DSLRs.